Any of our furry friends can be allergic to bees and wasps.

Autumn is one of the most active times of year for bees and wasps. Before the weather starts to cool down for Winter, our bees are busy buzzing about collecting food to boost their survival through the colder months.

Unfortunately, this is also a dangerous time for our pets as all that humming and buzzing causes curiosity that ends in a stung nose or mouth!

Removing the tiny stinger quickly with your fingers or (even better) a credit card will stop the venom from spreading. In most cases, the worst your pet will receive for their snooping will be mild swelling and tenderness at the site. Simply applying a cold compress like a damp washcloth will help with the inflammation.

When emergency care is needed:

It is important to keep a close eye on a stung pet as in some cases severe allergies to the venom can cause dangerous symptoms, such as pain, vomiting, pale gums, collapse, severe swelling and anaphylactic shock. In these cases your pet will need emergency care in the form of intravenous fluids and steroid injections.

Help prevent stings:

Keep your pet away from flowering trees and plants (especially ground cover). Don't leave fallen fruit, meat and uneaten pet food around and cover rubbish and compost bins - all of these are attractive to European wasps.