Keep your feathered friend safe from the perils of the kitchen.

Birds are very sensitive to smells of any kind and their sticky beaks can get them into a world of trouble. For this reason, the kitchen is one of the most dangerous places for our feathered friends.

Here are some common kitchen hazards:

Some brands of cookware, like Teflon, contain polytetrafluoroethylene, a substance that causes fumes and releases particles when heated that are deadly if inhaled by your bird. Likewise, cookware heated with oils, fats, margarine or butter also release dangerous vapors. Birds are extremely sensitive when it comes to these particles in the air.

Heating the kettle, using the toaster or grill can mean a serious burn if your bird touches them. Keep your bird well out of the way when using kitchen appliances.

Always keep windows and the ventilation shaft open when cooking as gases from cooking food also disagrees with our feathery friends. Also avoid your bird touching or inhaling certain products, like hairsprays, perfumes, insecticidal fumigants, pesticide sprays, automobile exhausts and glue and paint fumes.

Often kept in the kitchen and laundry areas, cleaning products are a big no-no when your bird is around. Cleaning agents, mothballs, pesticides and medications can cause severe burns and reactions in birds. It is also important to keep them away from areas where these products have been used.

Like many of our pets, there are many foods that we humans ingest that our pets shouldn’t. For birds this list includes avocados, onions, chocolate, coffee, tea, yeast dough, salt, tomato leaves and stems, potato leaves and stems, rhubarb leaves, cigarettes and alcohol.

Often the kitchen contains plants for visual appeal, but many common indoor plants can actually be toxic to birds. These include Aloe Vera and the commonly found Cyclamen species (which are also deadly to dogs, cats and humans). Do your research when decorating your kitchen and home.

Bird are very sensitive creatures and a range of things in your kitchen can cause irreversible damage to them. Keeping them safe and away from these dangers can mean the world of difference to your feathery friend's health and wellbeing.