It is important not to bath your dog too often as this can cause irritations, skin problems and interrupt oil production for the skin and coat.
• Start by wetting your dog thoroughly as the more water you use the easier it is to lather the shampoo. You may find it necessary to add shampoo as you go as this will break down surface tension created by grease on the skin and allows the shampoo to penetrate down to the skin where it is needed.
• Use a sponge to apply shampoo, particularly around the face. If you pour shampoo down your pet’s back you will use more than required – this is especially so if you are using Dermcare products. These products are made concentrated so you only need a very small amount of shampoo. Work on a figure of 1-2 teaspoons of shampoo per 5kg dog. Increase the amount for larger dogs.
• When lathering up always add more water before you add shampoo. A shampoo will not lather well in the absence of water. Dermcare products have minimal water added to them. This results in a more economical product and reduces waste.
• Rub the shampoo all over, including around the muzzle, lips and under the tail. These are the areas bacteria and fungi spread from and are a common cause of skin infection. You will find this relatively easy if you are using a sponge.
• Rinse thoroughly. It takes time to get rid of all the shampoo from the coat – usually about 5 minutes in longer haired dogs. A shower hose or hydro bath is excellent. Your pet should be “squeaky” clean. If the hair doesn’t squeak there is still shampoo residue which needs to be removed.
• Dry gently. Using heat, such as a hairdryer, or using a towel too vigorously will cause irritation for already itchy skin. Use a towel or chamois to dry gently.
For dogs with itchy skin use Dermcare Natural Shampoo or Aloveen Oatmeal Shampoo and Aloveen Intensive Conditioner on a regular basis to hydrate and moisturise the skin and remove surface irritants. Aloveen, containing Colloidal Oatmeal and Aloe vera gel, is renowned for its soothing and cooling properties. Aloveen Oatmeal Intensive Conditioner can be used after any Dermcare-Vet shampoo or on its own. Simple squeeze a little onto the palm of your hand and then rub onto the pet’s coat – no need to rinse! Not only does it extend the soothing effect of Aloveen Shampoo, it also detangles long coats, adds gloss and smells wonderful! It can also be used as a “dry” bath between shampoos.