snail bait: poisonous to snails, poisonous to pets

Spring is always a popular time for snail bait in our gardens, but these kibble-like pellets can attract more than just garden pests.

These pellets not just to snails but to our pets too. Even the so called “pet friendly” snail bait products out there are still dangerous to animals and each year Vets see many cases of pets who have ingested these poisons.

 There are three types of snail bait: 

1. Metaldehyde - green pellets
2. Methiocarb - blue pellets
3. Iron EDTA (Multiguard) - brown/yellow pellets

Metaldehyde and methiocarb affect the nervous system, causing increased stimulation and can be fatal if immediate veterinary treatment is not given. Multiguard may be less toxic but can still cause serious gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhoea and possible damage to the liver, spleen, heart, kidneys or brain. Treatment is recommended for all three of these substances.

 Signs of snail bait poisoning: 

• Excessive drooling
• Depression or restlessness
• Rapid heart rate & panting
• Vomiting & diarrhoea
• Muscle tremors
• Seizures

If you suspect your pet has ingested snail bait call your local vet immediately for advice. They may recommend you bring your pet in immediately so that they can induce vomiting to expel the poison while still in the stomach.