Do you know where your dog drinks from?You put out a fresh bowl of water for them each day, but they still insist on going elsewhere for their hydration. Here we list the most common and unhealthy places your dog will go to get a drink and risk nasty things from stomach upsets to Giardia.


While pool water is very clean, diluted chemicals such as chlorine and salt additives in the water can be dangerous to your pet’s health if ingested in large quantities. Most commonly, drinking this water will make your pet even thirstier, urinate more and will dehydrate them. However, if the pool is their main source of water then drinking more of it throughout the day can make these symptoms worse and worse. If you cannot stop them doing it, try placing a bowl of fresh water next to the spot where they like to take a sip and encouraging them to drink from the bowl instead. Otherwise, simply remove the temptation and shut them away from the pool when unsupervised.


Many dogs will find stagnant puddles at the park or during a walk to take a slurp from, but often these puddles are rampant with bacteria, viruses and intestinal parasites. They can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and dehydration in the dogs who drink from them. You can help ease puddle tempation by carrying a travel bowl during outings.


Lack of water circulation can lead to a buffet of bacteria, viruses, fungi, algae and parasites in pond and lake water. Blue-algae is especially dangerous if swallowed by your pet and can cause damage to kidneys, liver, intestines and nervous system, not to mention the skin rashes if they swim in it. It is important to wash your dog immediately if they have contact with contaminated water and to keep an eye out for any signs of sickness.


If you are fortunate enough to have one of those delightful pets who love toilet water then be wary of the fact that they could also be exposed to cleaners, bleach, toilet bowl disks and other sanitation chemicals as well as nasty bacteria. To avoid this simply keep toilets and bathrooms off limits to your furry friend.


Ocean water contains 100 times the amount of sodium than tap water and your pet should be deterred from drinking it. Not only can it cause excessive thirst, but also weakness, seizures and possible coma! To be safe on the beach take frequent breaks and offer your dog fresh water from a ravel bowl to keep them hydrated. Remember, throwing toys and tennis balls into the ocean can cause involuntary swallowing of the water.


While distilled water won’t harm your pet in small quantities, we do not recommend providing them with a large amount because this water can cause the body to lose important electrolytes and can also cause over-hydration. It is more easily absorbed by tissues than normal water because of the lack of minerals it contains.

This Summer it is a good idea to see where your pet is getting their hydration from. Not only is it important that they keep hydrated, but the source of their water should also be fresh and free from any nasty surprises.